Thursday, May 31, 2012

Project 15: Time For a Meeting of the Minds

Can you believe it? I'm posting on time, if not early for me! Woo! This week I made a clock. I found a clock mechanism at Michael's, which if you couldn't tell by now, is my favorite store. There isn't a whole lot to say about this one. I think it turned out really well, but I'm not entirely sure what sparked the idea. So I'll stop rambling and let the project speak for itself.


The Process:
So I drew up a concept on my computer.



I didn't have any black glass, so I couldn't do the classic black on white. I went with brown and tan  instead.


 I cut out the glass pieces and drilled a hole in the center of one of the pieces so I could attach the clock mechanism.


Next, Foiling!


Then I soldered my pieces together. Usually when I make a circular window, I add copper pipe around the edge to act as the frame. However, bending the copper pipe into the correct shape is difficult and tedious and usually ends with me swearing under my breath. So I decided to try something new. I have some lead u-came, which is used in traditional leaded stained glass windows. Lead is incredibly malleable, so I stretched the channel around the window and soldered into place. It looks really nice, but turned my hands black.

Lead Exposure!


Finally, I had to paint on the numbers of the clock. On my original paper design, I used a protractor to divide the face into 12 slices (30 degrees for each slice)! However, I eyeballed the number placement from the design instead of properly drawing it out. So my clock numbers may not quite be in the right space, but they're pretty close.


Final Product:







No comments:

Post a Comment