Thursday, February 23, 2012

Project 2: A Moonshiner in Black.

This week was a test of my willingness to be flexible. Initially I wanted to do a project involving a wine bottle. I'm going to be intentionally vague about the project because I'm still hoping I'll be able to do it at some point. For my initial project, I needed to cut a bottle in half lengthwise. The short version is that the bottles didn't necessarily break the way I wanted them to. I tried 4 different bottles over a period of two days and it was just carnage. So I decided I needed to think of something else. I wanted my second project to be drastically different from my window of Ilya, so I thought I'd try painting. I'm not a painter by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not sure what I was thinking. I bought glass for a picture frame, glass paint and a brush and had at it.

Bottle Massacre 


I knew I wanted to do a portrait. I really like to portray faces, I'm not entirely sure where that comes from, but whatever. My subject matter for this week is a man called Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton. He was an Appalachian Moonshiner. I first saw him on the show Moonshiners, which airs on the Discovery Channel. When I watched him on the show, I thought 'Wow, he looks almost like a cartoon character.' So I opted to recreate a picture of him. If you'd like to know more about Popcorn Sutton check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Sutton .
My painting 
Popcorn Sutton


No comments:

Post a Comment