Friday, March 2, 2012

Project 3: Sanctuary in a Box

So clearly I'm a little behind schedule. This project had a lot of little details that ended up taking more time  than I expected. But at least I got it done. So this week I decided to make a box with a scene of a forest in it. Well, it's a tiny forest since it only has two trees, but that's okay. If I have more time later, perhaps I'll add more to it. I took lots of pictures, so get excited.
The Process
I built the sides of the box first. 
Creating two halves like this insures that I have two right angles.
This will overall make the rest of my box square. A box that is not
square is VERY irksome. 

Four sides. Basically square. :)
Then I built the base of the box. The blue piece is supposed to be a river.
Over the river and through the woods...
I soldered one of the pieces of grass on an angle to try and create the illusion of a hill. I made the two trees out of copper wire. I twisted a bunch of wires together and 'fluffed' the branches out. 
I soldered the trees to the base and then I attached the base to the rest of the box. I put a lid on the box to finish it off.
Finished Product:
Ta dah!
Notice the swing?
A different angle.
Aerial view. What are those two holes for?

So you may be wondering, 'what was so time consuming about this project exactly?' I decided I wanted to be able to light the box up and have it look eerie and ethereal. So I wired some LEDs to add some ambiance. However, I'd never done any sort of wiring at all, so it took a little while to get it right, but once I got it, I was glad I went through the frustration of figuring it out. Ideally I'd like to use a warmer light, but I guess I can't be too picky for a week's worth of work. So below are the pictures of the box lit up.
Light! Notice the wiring on top. 
It sort of reminds me of Into the Woods.






 So that's this week's project! I hope you liked it. I'll try to be timely next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment