Saturday, March 24, 2012

Project 6: A Lesson in Suspension

This week has been crazy! I spent the majority of my week babysitting my favorite 2 year old. Last Saturday, I hung out with him from 9-4. At about 1, I was ready for a nap and I was hoping that maybe he would be too. We were in his room. He was playing with trains, I was lying on the floor. I looked up at the ceiling, wondering how I was going to convince him to take a nap and I saw that he had a mobile hanging from his fan. My thought, "hey, I could totally make one of those!" So that's where the idea came from. I also thought that it would be a less time intensive project, which would work with my schedule. However, I always seem to underestimate my projects, or maybe I just overestimate my abilities. Who knows? 


The camera that has all the pictures of my birds coming to fruition is currently in Indiana. So there won't be any pictures from the process.


The birds are the same bird in different colors. I'm sure you figured that out though. I drilled holes in their heads and tails to suspend them from my hoop.



The hoop is made out of 1/4 in copper pipe. Bending that into a circular-ish was such a pain! You can see it's not quite there, but that was all I had patience for.

After the birds and the hoop were finished. I simply had to tie the birds in place, which, again, took a stupidly long time.

 


I like this picture because you can't see the strings
and the birds actually look midflight.

This project to me is a good mark for the start of spring, which was officially the 21st I believe. Happy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment